Two signs it’s time to clean the kids’ room:
1. Everywhere you look is a jumbled mess.
2. You can’t even get to the closet.
I started by simply sending the kids (ages 7 and 5) upstairs to clean their room on their own. They worked on it for a while and made some good progress, but to really finish the job well, they needed my help and direction. It was a lot of work (because not cleaning it for many months will do that), but we worked together and made great progress! Take a look!
Before – Dare we enter? What is up with the trash all over the floor?
After – The box you see there is for toys.
Before – This rocker-glider was never supposed to be there for more than a week or so. I moved it in there when Mr. RSS was out of town and I was on my own with an infant plus the other 2 and it just made it easier at that time. That was almost 2 years ago… and here sits that chair.
After – The chair is back in the nursery, but really I think it just needs to leave the house soon…
The closet doors can even close. What a concept!
Here are some clothes that are getting donated:
Did you notice that Gabe’s bed grew? He finally has a big boy bed, thanks to my sister. He’s super thrilled!
Books before – No, no, no.
Books after – Yes!
What we’ve learned:
- Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance. Keeping it clean or cleaning it when it’s just a little messy are much easier than waiting for it to be a big stinkin’ mess. Easier said than done. I think I’ll try a Saturday morning room inspection each week.
- We finally put up a Christmas tree and started decorating! Christmas music is playing and there is a fire in the fireplace. Bunches of boxes are out of the living room (but just moved to the basement). I’m loving the peaceful atmosphere. I took some before pics. Maybe I’ll take some after shots to show you this week for fun.
- The kitchen is a mess. I need to tackle that tomorrow.