Doesn’t it seem like I just cleaned out the refrigerator? And I really thought I was doing a pretty good job of using the food that was in there. Turns out I was following a couple of my 10 ways to waste food.
If it weren’t for this blog, I would have no idea when I last cleaned it out, but now I can look back and see that it was in April. So it looks like every 3 months is not going to work for me. Boo!
But the good news is that I did clean out the refrigerator, I have a fresh start again, and I have learned more about what I need to change to make it better the next time!
Of course, I have pictures!
I like to do the real deal and take out all the shelves to clean them.
This was a sad thing to find behind a drawer. I’m pretty sure it was maraschino cherry juice. I scrubbed it for a long time.
I think I’m the most sad about the blueberries. Some of the cheese is because something leaked into the cheese drawer.
I went grocery shopping today, so it doesn’t look as cleaned out as it might have otherwise.
Those little serrano peppers down there are the first harvest from our little garden. Yay!
What I learned:
* I need to clean out the refrigerator more often. I’m hoping once a month will be enough. Pretty please?
* I need to clean out the refrigerator before and after a trip. Some of the things in the waste pile were there because I couldn’t remember for sure if they were leftovers from before our trip or after.
* I still need to clean out the condiments, gunk, and whatever else is lurking in the door shelves. We tend to have a lot of condiments. So many that they won’t all fit in the door. I would like to limit the number of condiments to what will fit in the door, so that they are not crowding the rest of the refrigerator.
* I tried a new strategy of cleaning out one shelf at a time as I could grab little bits of time. I thought I would like it, but I really didn’t. I much prefer doing all the shelves at once, then all of the drawers together.
* I know that being more consistent with menu planning and shopping with a list that I actually look at while at the store (unlike today), will help me. I’ve been thinking about posting my menu plans to keep me accountable.
* I need to make banana bread more. And banana muffins. And feed the monkeys at the zoo…
So how is your refrigerator looking? And how often do you think it should be cleaned out?