A couple of weeks ago we participated in a group yard sale with some other families from our Financial Peace University class. The last time I participated in a real yard sale was about 10 years ago, so I feel like I have some fresh thoughts.
I was excited to participate, but I had a slow start on gathering things to sell. I really didn’t get serious about it until 2 days before the sale.
I had some sorting and prep work to do with the baby clothes.
I had the kids go through our VHS tapes and DVD’s to pick some to sell. They also helped pick some toys to sell.
Mr. RSS did some cleaning out and gathering of items mostly from his office (also used as storage).
On Friday evening I was really wishing I had more time to gather things for the sale, so starting earlier is a good lesson for us if we do this again. There’s a lot more stuff we could have gotten out of here!
Here we are all set up. We had 5 tables worth of stuff here:
These bookcases have a little story. At the yard sale, someone said they wanted to buy them, talked us down to $30 for both, and said they needed to come back to pick them up. Well, they never came back. Argh!
But the story ends well. Mr. RSS decided to post them on Craigslist for $75, and a very nice young man just bought them yesterday and paid $80, saying that he loved them and didn’t want the $5 change. Sweet!
Our grand total from the yard sale was $66.00.
I have mixed feelings about yard sales, so I decided to make a little pro/con list based on our experience.
Yard Sale Pros
- Solid deadline to work towards
- Fun doing it with a group
- We got rid of some clutter
- Made a little money
- A lot of work/time
- Not a lot of money earned for the time spent
- Still need to deal with the leftover stuff
- Maybe yard sales are good for things that aren’t worth the time/effort to sell on Craigslist/eBay
- We’re going to try to sell some of the other leftover stuff on Craigslist. I think I’m going to take the nicer baby clothes to a consignment shop, and the rest will be donated.
- I’m really glad we participated, because it did get us motivated and moving on getting rid of STUFF we don’t need!
What do you think about yard sales?
I’m linking up with OrgJunkie’s 52 Weeks of Organizing!