Every week I post about a clutter hot spot in my home. I’m currently working on my desk, including a box of paper clutter I filled up from the desk several weeks ago.
Do you know that I was so excited to get to the bottom of that paper clutter box, that I didn’t even stop to take a before picture? It looked pretty much the same as the after picture from last week.
I went to work, but I didn’t set a timer, because I was determined to get to the bottom of that box and I wasn’t going to stop until I was there. I knew I could do it. And it sure helps that I told you to expect it!
Now, are you ready to see a thing of beauty?
I really debated about whether I should do something creative or special at the bottom of the box, but then I decided…
I’m going to let the elegance of this empty cardboard box stand on its own.
Maybe I should frame that picture for inspiration. There are many more boxes to go through!
Here are my sorted piles and the very full recycle box:
I filed the To File pile. Yes indeed.
Mr. RSS’s pile is ready for him. Marvelous.
The Take Action pile moved to the desk. AND you’ll be happy to know that I took some action on several items. Maybe those of you with a keen eye can even see the difference.
Of course I did some other decluttering and organizing on the desk, too.
Here’s the desk before:
Here’s the desk after:
What I’ve learned in the last 7 weeks:
- Even though my progress was slow, I worked on the desk and the paper clutter every week in small chunks (usually with a timer). Slow and steady wins the race, right? I’m creating good habits. It doesn’t happen overnight. Here’s where I started 7 weeks ago.
- Mail – open it right away (or at least the same day!), recycle the junk, file right away, and of course have a place for things that need action (for me, on the desk next to the computer).
- Accountability works. Thanks for checking in on me. You motivate me. I hope I can motivate you, too.
I think I’m ready for a new clutter hot spot. Next week, I’m going to revisit the kitchen island, since some of you (OK, 2 of you) have requested to see how it’s looking these days. And I do want to revisit this desk in the not-too-distant future. There’s more work to do here for sure, but for now it is under control.
So after I revisit the kitchen island, what should I work on next? Some places I’m considering:
- The “entryway” (coat closet and hooks by the front door)
- The top of the stereo cabinet
- The kitchen counter by the dishwasher/phone
- Another idea from my lovely readers?