How last week’s menu went:
I actually followed last week’s menu plan exactly. Woah.
Favorite meal from last week:
I really wanted to pick 3 favorites this week, but Mr. RSS convinced me that 2 is plenty when it comes to favorites, so I’m starting with the Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili, which I simply adore. I first made it when I saw it in Family Fun Magazine, but when I went to look for it this time, I could not find the magazine nor could I find the recipe on Family Fun’s site, so Danielle saved the day by posting the recipe! And even though I am usually a toppings-kind-of-girl, I really like this chili as-is, or with just a little cilantro. I did double the beans. I might cut the orange zest in half next time. 4 of the 5 of us like it.
The Portobello Mushroom Burgers were the other favorite. I stuck a big slice of grilled red pepper on mine. Yummy! Mr. RSS decided to double the marinade on these. They had lots of flavor! 4 of the 5 of us liked this one as well.
This Week’s Menu Plan
- Scrambled eggs with bell peppers and cheese
- toast (yummy whole wheat bread)
- Green salad with beets and goat cheese (I’m making it like this recipe, except I’m using romaine lettuce that needs using up and canned beets from the pantry)
- BBQ Country Style Ribs (Mr. RSS will likely finish them on the grill)
- Cooked apples [Edit: I removed this recipe link because when I looked at the recipe tonight, I realized it was way off from how I make these (I should have read the recipe more closely!) I usually use peeled, sliced apples and cook them down in a saucepan with about 1/2 cup water, add a little sugar and cinnamon to taste, if desired.]
- green beans
- Grilled marinated chicken breasts/thighs
- Rosemary potatoes – microwave (This is my new favorite side dish! Simple and so good!)
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Homemade Pizza night! I’ve been using this crust recipe, with part whole wheat flour. I also knead the dough after mixing.
- Raw veggies
- Brown Rice with Black Beans (I’m going to add some cumin and chili powder this time.) Toppings: Lettuce, tomato, cheese, sour cream, cilantro)
- Chips and salsa
- I’m having a MOPS playdate at my house this week. I am appropriately frightened. I am planning to clean and declutter every day, focusing on the living room and kitchen. I will not wait until the day before – no, no, no. There’s nothing like guests coming over to give you that extra motivation! Yikes!