In high school I was one of those kids with laundry (both clean and dirty) – and everything else all over the floor of my room. I thought it was cool.
Oh yes, I did. I also thought that I knew right where everything was.
I no longer make such claims.
It did get a little better in college and in my single days, mostly because of positive peer pressure from my roommates.
In more recent years I have not done very well. Check out this before pictures from when I cleaned out my master bedroom closet:
For many years I was pretty good at washing the clothes, but then they would sit in a crumpled mess in a basket or a pile on a bed or couch. Clean, but very wrinkled. And do I seem like the ironing type to you?
I finally got fed up with that nonsense and realized that I should not take the laundry out of the dryer unless I was folding it that instant! So for about a year I folded things as I took them out of the dryer. Big success!
Now I am brave enough to take them to another location and fold them right away.
One of my recent goals has been getting the folded clothes put away! I have clean, folded clothes, usually in baskets, sitting around.
Here’s what I’m working on:
- I try to put my folded clothes on my side of the bed and Mr. RSS’s on his side, and we each put our own away. That works pretty well when I do it.
- Ella (7) can put her clothes away – I just need to remind her.
- Gabe (5) can’t reach his drawers very well, so I need to either keep doing it myself (and actually do it instead of leaving them in baskets), or get him a step stool, or something. The other problem is that one of his drawers is broken and if you pull it out too far, the whole drawer falls out – so we need to fix that.
- Anna (1.5) All she wants to do is open any drawer she can get to and take everything out. Then possibly cram some things back in. Next, she likes to close the drawer on her finger. She obviously needs some work in this area!
- Cleaning out and organizing more of the closets and dressers will make this easier.
I’m also working on keeping up with Mt. Laundry, which has become a landmark in our basement…until now. I have some great before and after pictures to show you, but I’ll save them for later in the week. Oh the suspense!