How last week’s menu went:
I stuck to the planned menu for the most part. We did not have the taco salad because we did a leftover night instead. It was the first time I tried this particular recipe for Brown Rice with Black Beans, and I must say I loved how the rice came out with this method. I might add some cumin and oregano next time. The leftovers were great for lunch with a little cheese, salsa, and tomato from the garden.
Favorite meal from last week:
I’m going to say it was a tie between the Barbecue Ribs (I also added a dry rub and cooked them at a lower temp for a little longer) and the Buffalo Chicken pizza (I use a bit less of the chicken and blue cheese dressing. You must use Frank’s Hot Sauce if you want it to be right) with this crust. Yum.
Today’s motivation for menu planning:
Menu planning saves me money! I look at the sales flyers and I decide on my menu based on what meat and produce are on sale (I usually shop at Safeway). I don’t use a lot of coupons. At one point I got into the coupon craze, but I’m just not there right now. Last week I used 3 coupons. Really, just the fact that I make a plan and (mostly) stick to it, saves me money.
This Week’s Menu Plan
- Pesto pasta (All 5 of us love this!)
- fresh tomatoes from the garden
- Quiche: one with bacon and spinach and one with broccoli
- fruit salad
- Spaghetti and meat sauce
- Hearty Lentil Soup from Cooks Illustrated (I add celery, add chopped spinach instead of parsley, and only use 1/2 tsp of the balsamic vinegar)
- Stuffed Shells (I might use the recipe from the box, or just make it up as I go along. Or you can tell me your favorite recipe in the comments..)
- green beans
- Leftover night
- It’s been a month so I need to do a big refrigerator clean-out this week.
- I still need to finish going through the kids’ clothes. I’m hopeful I will be able to post about this soon.
- I’m going to try posting a picture of my kitchen island once a week for a month(big clutter hot spot for me), so that we all can see just how clear I am keeping it. Some of you will be happy about this. 😛